Skip to content
10 Direct Mail Statistics You Need To Know
- In 2018, U.S. households received 115.9 billion pieces of mail and sent 7.8 billion (USPS 2018 Household Diary Study).
- For every $167 spent on direct mail in the U.S., marketers sell $2,095 in goods (a 1,255% return). Print is Big: U.S. and Worldwide Industry Statistics, 2017.
- Direct Mail’s average household response rate is 5.1%, compared to 0.6% for email, 0.6% for paid search and 0.4% for social media. DMA Response Rate Report 2016, Direct Marketing Association.
- Up to 90% of direct mail gets opened, while only 20-30% of email gets opened. 11 Reasons Why Direct Mail is Critical in the Digital Age, DMA July 2018.
- The February 2019 ANA/DMA Response Rate Report showed direct mail response rates experienced their highest gain year over year (2017-2018) since 2003. All indications are that the trend has continued in 2019.
- The direct mail response rate was 4.9% for prospect lists in 2018. This is much higher than 2017 and the highest since the report started in 2003. ANA/DMA Response Rate Report.
- Direct mail response rates for house lists was a whopping 9%! ANA/DMA Response Rate Report.
- A letter-size envelope using a house list for lead generation pulled the highest overall response rate of 15.1%. ANA/DMA Response Rate 2018.
- In the next 12 months, 81% of survey respondents said they were maintaining or increasing their use of direct mail. ANA/DMA Response Rate Report 2018.
- Direct Mail’s motivation response is 20% higher than digital media’s, which means it’s more persuasive. Canada Post “A Bias for Action”.